There are 15 top winners and 85 commended poets.
- The 15 top winners aged 11-17 will have their poems printed in the winners’ anthology and all Commended Poets will have their name published inside – 20,000+ of these are sent out across the UK and beyond.
- The top 15 winners will be invited to attend a week-long residential course at one of the prestigious Arvon Centres – or receive a short residency in their school by a leading poet followed by distance mentoring (age dependent).
- All 100 winners (top 15 and 85 commended) receive a year’s Youth Membership and the opportunity to contribute to our digital platform Young Poets Network
- All 100 winners (top 15 and 85 commended) will be invited to a prestigious Awards Ceremony in London on National Poetry Day (October).
- All 100 winners (top 15 and 85 commended) will receive prizes including books published by Faber & Faber, Forward Arts Foundation, Bloodaxe Books, Picador, Walker Books, Frances Lincoln, Macmillan Children’s Books, Inpress Books, Puffin, Seren, and tall-lighthouse
- Extra goodies to be supplied courtesey of Divine Chocolate
- Each year we award we select a small group of new Teacher Trailblazers who have demonstrated outstanding innovation and commitment to inspiring young people to write poetry who will be invited to and celebrated at the award ceremony in London on National Poetry Day (October).
- All 100 winners (top 15 and 85 commended) benefit from ongoing support and encouragement from the Poetry Society via publication, performance and internship opportunities. In the past year Foyle winners have read at high profile events at the Southbank Centre, BBC’s The One Show, Radio 4, BBC World News, Ledbury Poetry Festival and the BBC R3 Proms at the Royal Albert Hall.
- Schools who have demonstrated the most dedication and enthusiasm for the Award each year are rewarded with free ‘Applauded School’ poet residency.
Read about a winner’s week at The Hurst in Diary of a Foyle Young Poet, an account of Matthew Ridley’s time attending an Arvon course.