Each year we select 100 winners (top 15 winners and 85 commended poets) of the Foyle Young Poets of the Year Award who amazing prizes.
- All 100 winners will be invited to a prestigious Awards Ceremony in London.
- The top 15 winners will have their poems printed in the winners’ print anthology, 25,000 copies of which are distributed to school libraries and poetry enthusiasts. The anthology is also available online.
- The 85 commended poets will have their work published in an online anthology and their names in the print anthology.
- The top 15 Winners will be invited to attend a life-changing residential writing course at one of the prestigious Arvon Centres, or receive mentoring from a professional poet (age dependent). Read more about the experience.
- All 100 winners receive a year’s Youth Membership of The Poetry Society.
- All 100 winners will receive a goody bag full of books and other treats donated by our generous supporters.
- All 100 winners benefit from ongoing support and encouragement from the Poetry Society via publication, performance and an internship programme. In the past year Foyle Young Poets have been featured on BBC Radio 3, BBC Radio 4, BBC Radio 6, The Times and The Guardian, and have been seen at events at Ledbury Poetry Festival, Library Club, Proms Lates at the Royal Albert Hall and Wenlock Poetry Festival.
Thank you to our 2019 supporters who generously donated prizes for our winners: Arachne Press, Arc, Bloodaxe Books, Carcanet Press, Chatto & Windus, Divine Chocolate, Emma Press, , Faber and Faber, Flipped Eye, Forward Arts Foundation, Inpress Books, Menard Press, Pan Macmillan, Paperblanks, Peepal Tree Press, Penguin, Penned in the Margins, Picador, Poetry Book Society, Poems on the Underground and Random House.
Schools & Teachers
Every school which enters 25 or more students’ writing to the competition will get a £50 discount on our Poets in Schools service.
We select several Applauded Schools each year, rewarding them for their dedication to poetry with free poet residencies and teacher training.
Each year we also choose a small group of Teacher Trailblazers who have demonstrated outstanding innovation and commitment to inspiring young people with writing. You can read their writing tips and try their teaching resources.
If you require the winner’s anthology, or any information about the competition, in an alternative format, please don’t hesitate to contact us at [email protected]. Do you have an inspiring teacher? Tell us about them. We want to connect with brilliant teachers who care as much about poetry as we do, so we can continue to reach young poets like you. If your teacher inspired you to write or read poetry, and you think we should know about them, let us know by emailing the following to [email protected]
Your teacher’s name
The name of your school
A sentence or two about what inspires you about your teacher