SLAMbassadors UK is the Poetry Society’s spoken word education programme. We work with young people in secondary schools, youth groups, young traveler centres – anywhere where there are young people who have a story to tell.
Workshops are delivered by some of the biggest names in spoken word, and focus on the theme of ‘identity’. They are specifically are designed to boost self-confidence, engage with at-risk youth, as well as improve communication and literacy skills.
“It has quite literally changed his life”
Teacher, talking about a SLAMbassadors participant, 2015
We can offer each participating setting the following:
- Two full day workshops in your school with a SLAMbassadors UK poet educator working towards creating original spoken word pieces on the theme of ‘identity’
- Entry of all young people into the SLAMbassadors UK national youth slam
- A teachers pack with spoken word activities for your class
- Opportunity for some of your students to take part in a national final
For clusters of schools, or local schools networks we can also offer:
- Bespoke teacher training looking at performance poetry techniques
- Participation by some in a regional showcase with other participating schools
What our participants have said
For further details, or if you’d like to take part, please contact at educationadmin [at] poetrysociety.org.uk or on 0207 420 9880.