The poets checked in as winners of our Spring 2018 competition on the theme of ‘Hotel’ are: Patricia Ace, Mara Bergman, Maggie Butt, Tess Jolly, Margot Myers and Matt Pitt. Our congratulations to all of them, and thanks to our judge Rebecca Goss.
Look out for the winners of our Summer competition on the theme of ‘Circus’, judged by Nick Makoha, which will be published online very soon!
All poems published in Poetry News are also eligible for the Hamish Canham Prize each year and between 2014 and 2018, the Anne Born Prize . The latest winners are: Ramona Herdman for her poem ‘My name is Legion: for we are many’ (Hamish Canham); and Tess Jolly (Anne Born).
Poetry News Autumn 2018 competition: ‘Change’
‘Change’ is the theme of National Poetry Day 2018 (4 October) and also the theme of the latest Poetry News members’ poems competition. Our judge is Meryl Pugh, and the six poems she selects will appear in the Autumn issue of Poetry News, published at the end of September.
Our judge: Meryl Pugh
Meryl Pugh’s collection, Natural Phenomena (Penned in the Margins, 2018), was the Poetry Book Society Spring Guest Selection. Meryl is also the author of two pamphlets – The Bridle (Salt, 2011) and Relinquish (Arrowhead, 2007). She has a PhD in Critical and Creative Writing from the University of East Anglia and teaches for Morley College and the Poetry School. She lives in East London.
How to enter
- Deadline: Monday 6 August 2018 2018; entries must be unpublished as of this date.
- Send no more than two poems, each max. 40 lines, typed on A4, with your membership number, not name and address, at the foot of each.
- It’s easiest to enter online at: thepoetrysociety.submittable.com/submit
- Enter by post: ‘Change’, Poetry News, 22 Betterton St, London WC2H 9BX
- Winners are notified within 14 days of the competition deadline. Winners’ poems appear in Poetry News and they win books and entry into the Hamish Canham Prize. Selected poems are also submitted for the Forward Prize.
- Only paid-up members of The Poetry Society can enter this competition.