Launch your book, play a gig, book a breakfast meeting or host your poetry reading at The Poetry Café: our spaces are available for both public and private event hire, with discounted rates for Poetry Society members. Our recent renovations have improved our soundproofing, air conditioning, lighting and access.
Our ground-floor, street-facing Café is a light-filled space, with changing art exhibitions on the walls. During public opening hours, you are always welcome to sit at our tables for a small meeting. The Café usually remains open to the public when there are events taking place in the Basement, but if you would like to arrange a private hire of the entire space – upstairs and downstairs together – please contact us.
Underneath the Café is our versatile performance, workshop and meeting space.
- Capacity Theatre Style: 52 seated + 8 standing
- Chairs & Tables: stackable chairs and small tables – we can configure the room set up to suit you
- AV Equipment available: PA and projector (to connect to hirer’s own laptop). Images / videos / presentations are projected directly onto our white wall.
- Accessibility: we have disabled access via a lift, a disabled toilet, and a hearing induction loop. Please contact us with any questions about accessibility.
- Catering: Our regular menu of food, snacks, drinks and treats is always on offer, or we can arrange speciality catering for you.
- Free wifi
Hire fee for public events (music gigs, readings, book launches etc)
- £65 for Poetry Society members
- £85 for non-Poetry Society members
Hire fee for private events (private book launches, art events, other celebrations etc)
- £150 for Poetry Society members
- £175 for non-Poetry Society members
Corporate Hire (meetings, presentations, events etc)
Ours is a flexible space in central London for hire at competitive prices. Please contact us with your requirements.
A member of staff to manage the bar / cafe is included in the hire fee, but you will need to arrange box office and front-of-house management yourself.
Please note our licence will not allow us to serve alcohol or remain open after 11pm.
The Studio is on the first floor of The Poetry Society’s main offices, and is suitable for meetings and workshops. Please contact us for a visit in advance of your booking.
Capacity Boardroom Style: 15
Accessibility: the Studio is up a flight of 12 stairs, and there is no lift to this floor.
- £20 / hour for Poetry Society members
- We will always try and be flexible with budgets to make your event work – please contact us to discuss.
To discuss a booking, please email [email protected] or call 020 7420 9887. We encourage you to visit the space before you make a booking so you can check it’s the right fit for your event.
The Poetry Café is a popular space so please contact us to arrange the booking for your event in plenty of time. We can arrange flexible bookings, and will do our best to accommodate your needs.
It’s easy to become a member and receive the discounted perks – just visit our membership page.
Poetry Café (The Poetry Place)
22 Betterton Street
London WC2H 9BX
Email: [email protected]
Telephone: 020 7420 9888