The Poetry Society is a registered charity providing support, information and merchandise for specialists and the general public. We engage with and support diverse poetry audiences. There are often opportunities to volunteer with us at our offices in Covent Garden, central London.
Editor, The Poetry Review
Part-time position (fixed-term contract for a period of two years) in central London.
£30-£33K pro rata, plus pension contributions.
The Poetry Review is among the world’s most dynamic and influential literary magazines. Published by The Poetry Society since 1912, it has been home to many of the most important and innovative names in poetry, with contributors ranging from Thomas Hardy and Basil Bunting, to Les Murray, Sharon Olds, Daljit Nagra, Durs Grünbein and Mary Ruefle. It is currently one of the most widely-read poetry magazines in the English-speaking world and has a growing international circulation.
Since becoming Editor in 2013, Maurice Riordan has enhanced the magazine’s reputation for excellence at the same time as he has made exciting changes. He set up an annual exchange with the US magazine Poetry and established a series of co-editorships to extend the Review’s range and to widen opportunities for writers and critics. He oversaw the first major redesign of the magazine in a decade and, recently, the launch of a digital version.
Maurice Riordan will soon complete his distinguished tenure as Editor and The Poetry Society is seeking to appoint his successor.
Deadline: 5pm, Monday 17 October 2016.
Interviews are expected to be held on Wednesday 2 November 2016.
Applications should include:
- A comprehensive CV giving details of relevant achievements. Please indicate the best way to contact you during the day. All communication will be made discreetly.
- A covering letter that summarises your interest in this post. IMPORTANT: Please indicate how you match the required skills, experience and knowledge criteria outlined in the job description.
- A completed Equal Opportunities Monitoring Form.
- Details of your current salary and notice period, if applicable.
Applications should be sent:
- by email to Sophie Kirk at [email protected] OR
- by post to Sophie Kirk, The Poetry Society, 22 Betterton St, London WC2H 9BX
If you are interested in volunteering at The Poetry Society, please send a CV and brief cover note to Sophie Kirk at [email protected] Your cover note should include something about your own interests, and how often you would like to volunteer.
Please put ‘VOLUNTEERING’ in the subject line.