Our team of established, professional poets, will provide detailed, critical feedback on up to 100 lines of your poetry, based on your experience, skills and poetic ambitions. The Poetry Prescription service includes:
- an appraisal of your work and suggestions to help you develop it
- a prescription of further reading material
- advice on the best way to present your work
- a current poetry competitions listing
- a current writers’ groups and retreats listing
- a listing of current poetry magazines and their contact details
- a recent issue of Poetry News and The Poetry Review (for non-members)
£40 for Poetry Society Members, £50 for non members.
Be prepared for an honest and rigorous response. The appraisal is not intended to be the definitive commentary on your work. However, it is the opinion of an individual with experience worth listening to.
- Complete the Poetry Prescription questionnaire and save as a document.
- Prepare your poems for appraisal and save as a document.
- Your poems should total no more than 100 lines and be typed on one side of the page only, each page carrying 1) your name, 2) page number, and 3) total number of lines for the poem – not including title.
- Add Poetry Prescription to your basket and pay for your appraisal online.
- Follow the instructions at checkout to attach your completed questionnaire and poems as documents.
- Allow up to 6 weeks for the return of your appraisal.
Feedback on Poetry Prescription:
“Many thanks for the Poetry Prescription. I feel much better now, about reviewing my poems. That’s due to taking on board most (if not all) of the Poetry Prescriptions suggestions, which are essential. Thanks again.” – JS
“The person who critiqued my writing was superb. The comments are super helpful and very responsive to what I was asking for in my questionnaire. It’s clear the person paid a great deal of attention to my writing. The remarks suggesting change or more development in concept or style were quite on point. Also I was not left dangling about how to approach and reach what my (not the person making the critique) end results might be. I couldn’t be happier with my “Prescription” and have already gone to work on attaining a “healthier” set of poems. It’s just a lot of fun. I certainly will do another “Prescription” again.” – SA
“The Poetry Prescription has made me look more seriously at developing my work…The feedback was constructive and at times, brutal… like iambs to the slaughter!! But hey! I survived!! Give it a go.” – CP
“What I most wanted to find out was whether my inner editor coincided with an external one. It did. What was really valuable, however, was that he loved a particular line that I felt was one of those rare moment of ‘authentic’ poetry, that is to say, a line written from trusted instinct rather than from a mind consciously trying to have an effect. This has given me confidence to trust that impulse in future.” – TY
“Thank you so much for my Prescription and most valuable resources also attached. My feedback is most appreciative… Almost all the comments I considered very valid. A work plan is now formulated. I had not stopped writing whilst awaiting my Prescription, but badly needed direction which I now have more clearly in mind as I develop my ideas.” – JFB