- The competition is open to anyone aged 18 or over at the time of entering. International entries are welcome.
- The closing date of the competition is 11.59PM (UK time), 2 March 2020.
- There is no limit on the number of entries a single entrant can make. All entries will be considered anonymously and names or identifying information should not be included on the poems.
- Postal entries are not accepted. All entries must be via The Poetry Society’s Submittable.
- Under no circumstances can alterations be made to poems once entered.
- Online entries made via Submittable will receive automatic confirmation at the time of submission.
- The competition organisers reserve the right to change the judging panel without notice and not to award prizes if, in the judges’ opinion, such an action is justified.
- The judges’ decision is final. Neither the judges, Artlyst nor The Poetry Society staff will enter into any correspondence.
- No current employee or Trustee of The Poetry Society or writer for Artlyst is eligible to enter the Artlyst Art to Poetry Award.
- All entries are judged anonymously, and the poet’s name must not appear on the poem itself.
- All poems must have a title and must not exceed 40 lines in length (excluding title). Entries must be inspired by a specific artwork. This artwork can be in the form of an installation, video, sculpture, painting or photograph.
- Each poem should be accompanied by the name of the artwork, the name of the artist, and the medium (e.g. painting, sculpture). To assist the judges identifying the artwork, the entrant may also include the date the artwork was created and a weblink to the artwork.
- Poets who are shortlisted may be invited to send in their image before the final judging.
- Poems must be the entrant’s original work.
- Entries must not have been published, self-published, published on a website or made public on social media, broadcast or featured among the winners in another competition before 31 May 2020. Postal entries will not be accepted. Poems must be a minimum type size of 12pt. Entries can be double or single spaced.
- Entries must be written in English.
- The first poem submitted costs £7. Subsequent entries in the same submission cost £4 per poem.
- Payments must be made in £ sterling through The Poetry Society’s Submittable portal.
- Prize winners will be notified by the end of April 2020 and invited to an awards event to read their poems at a London venue. Winning poems will be published on the websites of Artlyst and The Poetry Society. Poets will be expected to provide a biography and photograph.
- The first prize will be £1,000. Second prize £300. There will be three runners up prizes of £50.
- All entrants who provide a valid email address will be notified about the outcome of their entry by the end of will be notified by the end of May 2020.
- The copyright of each poem remains with the author. However, authors of the winning poems, by entering the competition, grant Artlyst and The Poetry Society the right in perpetuity to publish and/or broadcast their poem. Use of the poems elsewhere for one year from 31 May 2020 is subject to permission from Artlyst and The Poetry Society.