The poets checked in as winners of our Spring 2018 competition on the theme of ‘Hotel’ are: Patricia Ace, Mara Bergman, Maggie Butt, Tess Jolly, Margot Myers and Matt Pitt. Our congratulations to all of them, and thanks to our judge Rebecca Goss.
All poems published in Poetry News are also eligible for the Hamish Canham Prize and the Anne Born Prize each year. The latest winners are: Ramona Herdman for her poem ‘My name is Legion: for we are many’ (Hamish Canham); and Tess Jolly (Anne Born).
Poetry News Summer 2018 competition: ‘Circus’
Nick Makoha was born in Uganda and has lived in Kenya and Saudi Arabia; he currently resides in London. He won the 2010 Arvon International Poetry Prize and the 2016 Toi Derricotte & Cornelius Eady Chapbook Prize for his pamphlet Resurrection. He is an alumnus of Goldsmiths, London, and Cave Canem, USA; he was among the first cohort of Spread the Word’s Complete Works development programme. His poems have appeared in magazines including The New York Times, The Poetry Review and Wasafiri. www.nickmakoha.com
How to enter
- Deadline: Tuesday 1 May 2018; entries must be unpublished as of this date.
- Send no more than two poems, each max. 40 lines, typed on A4, with your membership number, not name and address, at the foot of each.
- It’s easiest to enter online at: thepoetrysociety.submittable.com/submit
- Enter by post: ‘Circus’, Poetry News, 22 Betterton St, London WC2H 9BX
- Winners are notified within 14 days of the competition deadline. Winners’ poems appear in Poetry News and they win books and entry into the Hamish Canham Prize. Selected poems are also submitted for the Forward Prize.
- Only paid-up members of The Poetry Society can enter this competition.