Poetry Society Member Romalyn Ante has been announced as joint winner of the Manchester Poetry Prize alongside Laura Webb. The winning poets receive £5,000 each. This year’s Poetry Prize was judged by Adam O’Riordan and former winners Mona Arshi and Pascale Petit.
Included on the shortlist were Poetry Society Members Ella Frears and Carolyn King.
Adam O’Riordan said that,
“this was another strong year for entries. The judges read work across a range of themes, with the mammalian and the avian in abundance. Mona and Pascale worked incredibly hard and produced a short-list which reflected the quality of submissions to this year’s competition.”
The Poetry judges had the following to say about each finalist’s portfolio of poems:
- Romalyn Ante: “Rich and scrupulously attentive poems – this poet gave us language that seethed and teetered on the brink; this is powerful and exciting poetry.“
- Ella Frears: “A sequence of inventive approaches to the well-worn subject of the moon – bewitching and elemental poems that refresh a poetic cliché and restore it to the realm of wonder.“
- Don Judson: “Powerful poems, shocking and arresting by equal measure. This was raw, gripping work which had the judges on the edges of their seats.“
- Carolyn King: “Intimate and revelatory, supple yet brittle, the poet navigates through family, loss and estrangement all at once with surprising emotional force.“
- Lindsay Means: “Rich and compelling work in which the animal and mythical kingdoms are passed through with warmth and grace.“
- Laura Webb: “Eclectic poems that stunned us with their strangeness. Each line and image feels drawn from the depths to sound out the world in new ways, each poem different, yet marked with the poet’s astounding originality.“
The Manchester Writing Competition was devised by Poet Laureate Carol Ann Duffy and is run by her team in the Manchester Writing School at Manchester Metropolitan University. It is presented in partnership with Manchester Literature Festival and sponsored by Macdonald Hotels and Resorts.
4 December 2017