A great night for Poetry Society Members, with Ali Lewis and former Foyle Young Poet Annie Katchinksa included among the Eric Gregory Awards, presented annually by the Society of Authors for a collection of poems by a poet under 30, and Daljit Nagra and Kate Clanchy MBE among those receiving a Cholmondeley Award, recognising their body of work as a poet.
The awards for poets in full…
Eric Gregory Awards: Seven poets each awarded £4050, awarded for a collection of poems by a poet under 30.
- Zohar Atkins for System Baby
- Victoria Adukwei Bulley for Girl Being
- Jenna Clake for Fortune Cookie (Eyewear Publishing)
- Joseph Eastell for Blossom Boy Beta Test
- Annie Katchinska for Sesame Powders
- Ali Lewis for Hotel
- Stephen Sexton for The animals, moon
The Cholmondeley Awards: Five poets awarded £1680, presented for a body of work by a poet.
- Vahni Capildeo
- Kate Clanchy
- Linton Kwesi Johnson
- Daljit Nagra
- Zoë Skoulding
The Somerset Maugham Awards: Three writers each awarded £5250, for published works of fiction, non-fiction or poetry by writers under 35, to enable them to enrich their work by gaining experience of foreign countries.
- Kayo Chingonyi for Kumakanda (Chatto & Windus) – poetry
- Miriam Nash for All the Prayers in the House (Bloodaxe Books) – poetry
The Authors’ Awards is a unique evening of celebration with each award chosen by authors for authors and judged by celebrated authors, writers and poets, many former winners themselves.
Supporting and empowering writers of fiction, non-fiction and poetry and giving them time and resources to enable creativity is a key part of the Society of Authors’ ethos and during the evening two new Awards were announced.
23 July 2018