Online: Facetime, Skype
Fee: £70 (£60 for Poetry Society Members) – from 1 April 2021
How to book
- Please book online via the What’s On page
- Email [email protected] with any queries
- Poetry Society Members – make sure you pick the lower price option
- John will be in touch with you by phone or email to confirm a date and time.
- At least two weeks before the session, please email 6 poems, or 150 lines maximum, to him in one Word or PDF document.
- Add an accompanying note saying 1. why you write poetry, 2. what you hope to do with your writing, 3. what you hope to gain from the session.
About John Glenday
John Glenday’s first collection, The Apple Ghost won a Scottish Arts Council Book Award and his second, Undark, was a Poetry Book Society Recommendation. Grain (Picador, 2009) was also a Poetry Book Society Recommendation and was shortlisted for both the Ted Hughes Award and the Griffin Poetry Prize. His most recent collection, The Golden Mean won the 2015 Roehampton Poetry Prize.
Feedback from John’s previous sessions
“I’ve just had my session with John and wanted to say how helpful it was, and how grateful I am to him. I found John’s sensitivity and insight, depth of experience, ingenuity and whole approach really useful, not just in terms of the present project, but in the future – my writing will benefit hugely. A big thank you John” RW
“I just wanted to share how very helpful John was for both sessions I had with him. He sent his feedback in advance of the session, outlining his general comments concerning my poems. He provided very detailed comments during the Skype call. The discussion was focused and in-depth, and extremely valuable for my work” EC, Milton Keynes
“The Poetry Surgery was exceptionally good. John had taken the time to carefully read and comment on my work, he marked up the poems and provided a written commentary on each. He gave very valuable advice and highlighted a couple of issues that has dogged my work for a while. We had a very good chat and I enjoyed his company as much as his instructive observations. It was more than good value for money and I would recommend John anytime.” – DC, Edinburgh