Location: South West. Maggie runs her sessions at the Cathedral Innovation Centre in Portsmouth – 1pm, 2.30pm, and 4pm (when Covid conditions allow).
Fee: £70 (£60 for Poetry Society Members) – from 1 April 2021
How to book
- Please book online via the What’s On page
- Email [email protected] with any queries
- Poetry Society Members – make sure you pick the lower price option
- Maggie will be in touch with you by phone or email to confirm a date and time.
- At least two weeks before the session, please email 6 poems, or 150 lines maximum, to her in one Word or PDF document.
- Add an accompanying note saying 1. why you write poetry, 2. what you hope to do with your writing, 3. what you hope to gain from the session.
About Maggie Sawkins
Maggie Sawkins two poetry collections are Charcot’s Pet (Flarestack, 2003) and The Zig Zag Woman (Two Ravens Press, 2007). Maggie works with people in recovery from addiction, and teaches creative writing in community and health care settings. In 2003 she founded Tongues&Grooves Poetry and Music Club. She won the Ted Hughes Award for New Work in Poetry in 2013 for her multi-media production Zones of Avoidance.
Feedback from Maggie’s previous sessions
“Maggie was courteous, thoughtful and perceptive about my work. I found her style of tutoring very helpful. She facilitated me to discuss, as if on equal terms with her, the merits of each poem and possible ways forward with them. I found the Surgery to be motivational. I consider it to be good value for money, and I would certainly recommend Maggie to friends.” – PM, Isle of Wight