Applications for the 2020 Foyle Young Poet Internship are now open.
Each year we run two 15-day paid internships at The Poetry Society’s busy office in Covent Garden, London. All past winners of the Foyle Young Poets of the Year Award (top 15 winners or commended poets) aged 18 or over are eligible to apply. The weekly fee is £370.00. We can also offer a small bursary towards travel and accommodation, if travelling from outside of London.
We encourage applications from all Foyle winners aged 18 or over, and we are committed to providing training opportunities for young people who are currently underrepresented at The Poetry Society, including BAME young people. At least one of the Foyle internship positions will be contracted to an eligible applicant from a BAME background.
The focus of the programme is to support the administration and marketing of the Foyle Young Poets of the Year Award, with additional support for The Poetry Society’s wide programme of work.
The internship programme is a fantastic opportunity for Foyle Young Poets of the Year to gain experience of working in a busy office on multiple projects and events, writing content for online platforms and administrating a worldwide competition.
Each intern will work a total of 15 days in our London-based office between September and December (we are flexible about specific dates). Office hours will be 10am – 5pm daily Monday-Friday (including an hour for lunch). Please note that some evening work may be required to assist with events.
Internship activities may include:
- Competition data entry and processing
- Postal mailings – envelope stuffing and franking
- Marketing and promotion via phone, email and social media
- Compiling data for evaluation and marketing reports
- Writing and editing content for our Young Poets Network website
- Sustaining our internet presence via our web pages and social networking sites
- Additional administrative support across the wider Poetry Society team as required
Key skills and experience required:
Demonstrable knowledge of contemporary poetry and creative writing and a keen interest in the role of the arts/creative writing in education
- Knowledge of standard office computing software, plus a working knowledge of Social Media
- Strong communication skills in writing, on the phone, and face to face
- Excellent attention to detail, with strong copy writing and proofing skills
- Able to work independently and effectively, responding to instructions given by colleagues
- Quick thinking and highly motivated with a ‘can do’ attitude – a strong team player
Desirable sklls and experience:
- Some experience with Content Management Systems for websites
- Some experience in assisting at live events and dealing with the public
- Knowledge and experience of working with database systems
Eligibility and Info
This opportunity is open to anyone aged 18 and over who was a Foyle Young Poet of the Year Award recipient (15 top winners and 85 commended poets) during the history of the award.
The deadline for applications is Friday 3 July 2020, as the internship programme will now have to take place later in the year due to the Covid 19 pandemic. Deadline for applications is midnight, Friday 1 May 2020.
For information on volunteering with The Poetry Society please send a CV and cover letter to [email protected].