2020 Foyle Young Poet Internship Update
Each year we run two 15-day paid internships at The Poetry Society’s busy office in Covent Garden, London. All past winners of the Foyle Young Poets of the Year Award (top 15 winners or commended poets) aged 18 or over are eligible to apply. The weekly fee is £370.00. We also offer a small bursary towards travel and accommodation, if travelling from outside of London.
We encourage applications from all Foyle winners aged 18 or over, and we are committed to providing training opportunities for young people who are currently underrepresented at The Poetry Society, including BAME young people. At least one of the Foyle internship positions will be contracted to an eligible applicant from a BAME background.
The focus of the programme is to support the administration and marketing of the Foyle Young Poets of the Year Award, with additional support for The Poetry Society’s wide programme of work.
The internship programme is a fantastic opportunity for Foyle Young Poets of the Year to gain experience of working in a busy office on multiple projects and events, writing content for online platforms and administrating a worldwide competition.
This year, because of the ongoing C-19 situation, we are going to think differently.
We will put together a package of texts, tasks and tutorials to help a range of our Foyle alumni to learn more about poetry and its promotion. Details are being worked through at the moment, but if you have the following key skills and knowledge …
- Demonstrable knowledge of contemporary poetry and creative writing and a keen interest in the role of the arts/creative writing in education
- Knowledge of standard office computing software, plus a working knowledge of Social Media
- Strong communication skills in writing, on the phone, and face to face
- Excellent attention to detail, with strong copy writing and proofing skills
- Able to work independently and effectively, responding to instructions given by colleagues
- Quick thinking and highly motivated with a ‘can do’ attitude – a strong team player
… and would like to register your interest at this early stage, please contact us at [email protected]
This opportunity is open to anyone aged 18 and over who was a Foyle Young Poet of the Year Award recipient (15 top winners and 85 commended poets) during the history of the award.
The deadline for expressions of interest is Friday 17 July 2020. If you were an early applicant to the original internship programme, we will be in touch with you.